Friday, October 19, 2012

Toilet Training for the Ry Girl


 Warning: Lots of pee and poop talk, this is a post about toilet training after all...

This probably isn't the most exciting post for most, but for me its one of the best things I could possibly think of at the moment :) We did 2 in diapers when Brenden was born for a year until Jake finally was toilet trained just after he turned 3. So if we can get Rylan trained before Miles arrives I will be THRILLED!

We've been very loosely trying to get Rylan to use the toilet since this summer. She used it once back in July or August (can't remember exactly when). And that was it, but she was willing to sit on the toilet at various times. So that's what we've been doing, asking her if she wants to sit on the toilet and if she does great and if no not a problem. And sometimes she would sit there for half an hour not doing anything, but we figured as long as she was happy/comfortable we'd stick with it.

Then a few weeks ago Rylan started telling me every time she peed or pooped. She'd stand up or sit down and announce what was about to occur in her diaper so I figured I would give her a little more push to try the toilet. One day I got her to sit just fine, but again nothing happened. So I left her diaper off thinking she'd rather sit on the toilet once she couldn't hold it anymore, but I was wrong. She got VERY distraught and REFUSED to sit on the toilet and eventually peed on the floor which made her even more hysterical.

With such an awful experience I thought for sure I had set her back. However, after thinking about it some and talking with my neighbor, I wondered if maybe she just wasn't a little nervous about the "BIG" toilet. So I borrowed a kiddy/toddler toilet from the neighbors to see if that might help. And sure enough as soon as we got it home she peed in it - literally took about 5 minutes from getting it into our house and she was peeing away! I hoped this would be the break through we needed, but another week or two passed with no more results other than just sitting on the toilet....And then came Sunday night.

Sunday night before bed, I very casually asked if she wanted to sit on the toilet and she said yes. This time she didn't want the little one, she insisted on the big one. She got the stool and her seat, but still nothing. So I told her she could have a chocolate coin if she peed in the toilet. We had told her before she could have a treat if she peed or pooped in the toilet, but it never seemed to help...until this time! She was all about that chocolate coin! She peed like a champ, and was just has happy and proud as could be. Even though it was bedtime I got her a chocolate coin ASAP and gave her lots of hugs and high fives for her accomplishment.

We obviously had no idea if this would be a one time thing again or the start of more real toilet training. And it looks like its the latter. She proceeded to use the toilet at bedtime for the next two days, of course asking for her chocolate coin each time :) And yesterday she asked to pee in the middle of the day and ended up pooping instead. And then proceeded to poop two more times. She was having trouble and was uncomfortable so it was small poops before a giant one gave way in her diaper later, but she just kept trying in the toilet and managed to get some each time. She also peed again before bed. And today she peed when she got up, when I picked her up from KidsFit at work, and before nap time. So I would say we're on our way to possibly having her toilet trained before Miles arrives.

I'm trying my best not to get ahead of myself or her progress. She is not interested in wearing underwear at the moment and that's fine. So for now I'll let her take the lead and just keep asking her to use the toilet a little more each day as she wants. I'm hoping that if we can keep this going for about another week then I'll try next Wednesday and Thursday to take the next step with underwear ( I don't work during the day those days so I can give her all my attention). And if she's not ready next week then we'll back off and try again the following week and so on. I just don't want to push her because she has made it clear with just about everything that it will be done on her terms - I wonder where she got that from? That doesn't sound like me at all ;)

Since starting this we have run out of chocolate coins, but M & Ms seem to be working just as good. And as long as she keeps this up she can have M & Ms every time she uses the toilet until the end of time :) So fingers crossed this keeps up and hopefully we'll only have one in diapers once Miles is here!

1 comment:

  1. Alright I'm getting my chocolate coins and M &Ms out! You have motivated me to be more persistent with Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete