Thursday, February 13, 2014

Did you lick the bowl today?


So Tuesday night we had planned to have a nice outing to Target. I should have known it wouldn't go without at least one melt down, by me or the kids. Nonetheless, we went with high hopes and came home a little less positive than when we left. Oh well. But on the way home when we were talking (as we often do) about how we can all do a little better the next time, I decided I would try to make things up a bit and offered to make chocolate chip cookies when we got home. Obviously this was a big hit, even with Brenden who was trying his best to stay mad at me for "yelling" at him.

So we made it home and get everyone shuffled out of the car and into the house and we all start getting things ready to make some cookies. Unfortunately, we had to settle for a half-batch. I only had enough sugar for that since I had of course forgot to pick up more sugar when at Target...I always forget at least one thing I need at Target yet always manage to get 5 things I don't need....Anyway, we all helped putting in the sugar, butter, eggs, flour, etc., even Brenden helped :) And throughout the process was the constant question: Can I lick the bowl now?????NOW?????WHEN CAN I LICK THE BOWL????? Alas we finished and all got to lick the bowl. And not only did we lick it, but there was about enough dough for another 1-2 cookies that I didn't feel like baking on a separate sheet so we divided that up and had mini dough cookies.....mmm, yummy!

And when the cookies were done we all sat down and enjoyed warm homemade chocolate chip cookies and a little vanilla ice cream. Did this fix everything that had happened on our ambitious Target trek? No, of course not. Did we all end the night a little happier than we started? YES :) What really made this special for me was how we all just got to spend time together. And more importantly, time where I didn't have to constantly say no or don't do that or not now or whatever negative comments spewed from my mouth while at Target.

Not once while mixing, baking, and eating did I worry about the mess we were making. Not once did I worry about the refined sugar we loaded into the cookie dough. I knew this would make bedtime a little longer, but I didn't care. I didn't hesitate for one second to let the kids lick the bowl. This was OUR time. No worry of messes, salmonella, processed food, etc. were going to take this away from us. It didn't fix all of the things we ALL did wrong earlier in the night, but it did allow us to forget all of that and just enjoy - the cookies, each other, the moment.

There are a lot of things that we pass on to our kids, good and bad. Most days I don't get it right. But on that night I know I got the end right. And I hope on that night my kids will remember how we just enjoyed ourselves and forgot about all the rest.

If your day didn't go as planned I hope that you can find a way to lick the bowl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment