Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Big House Big Heart Run



A few years ago after my Dad's law partner was diagnosed with ALS and my Dad decided to start a race, The Big House Big Heart, to help raise money for ALS research. The first race was held in 2007 just weeks after my dad's partner passed away. It has been going strong and even grown over the past 4 years. It originally began as just a 1 mile fun run with the finish line being the 50 yard line of Michigan Stadium (The Big House) and 2 years ago they expanded the race to add a 10k and 5k race that also finishes on the stadium field.

2 years ago I ran the 10k with my friend Linsey. It was my first race ever. It was a bit of a struggle, but the feeling of accomplishment at the end was worth all of the pain. I didn't run last year because I had just had Rylan 6 weeks earlier. And this year Linsey and I decided to do the race again, but we would do the 5k so that Linsey's daughter, Eilan, could run with us. Chris was going to be out of town on race day so I decided to run with Rylan in the jogging stroller as well. So it was Me, Linsey, and our daughters to run a 5k.

The race was this past weekend and it went great. We had beautiful weather for the race, I think it was around 65 degrees at the race start. Eilan did great, she ran over half of the 5k with only a few walking breaks, pretty impressive for a 6 year old! The race was much easier for me this time as well. I'm sure I owe most of that to running while I was pregnant with Rylan.

After the race I met up with the boys and my dad to run/walk the 1 mile fun run. The boys have done this for the past 3 years. Last year Chris took them down and did the 1 mile race with the boys, my brother, and my dad. This year Jake and my dad ran together and Brenden, Rylan, and I ran/walked together. Jake and my dad crossed the finish line first and then came back to run through it again with Brenden, Rylan, and me.

It was all a lot of fun and I hope to be able to come back after we move to do it again. And maybe next year Jake can run the 5k too!

No comments:

Post a Comment